Do something amazing and get a great haircut at Headonist for free too!
Headonist have teamed up with the Little Princess Trust to encourage the donation of hair to make wigs for children who’ve lost their own hair from cancer and other illnesses. Headonist is offering haircuts absolutely free to anyone who will donate their hair to the charity. So you’ll get an amazing haircut from an experienced stylist and your long locks will help a child recover from a devastating illness. And maybe you could organise some sponsorship for the ‘chop’ too and raise much needed funds for the charity?
Since its inception, the Little Princess Trust has given away over 4,500 wigs to girls and boys across the UK and Ireland; a number which increases every day. Each real hair wig costs the charity around £500 to make and there is no cost to the families that receive the wigs. Donated hair is used to manufacture wigs for supply by the Little Princess Trust and wigs are tailored to the individual child’s needs to give the most realistic look and feel, as close as possible to their original hair.
“We’re delighted to be working with this wonderful charity” says Vanessa Couzens, Headonist co-owner. “People don’t realise their discarded long hair can make such a difference. Going through cancer treatment is hard enough for a child without losing their hair too, and receiving a wig created specifically for them is such a confidence boost. This offer really is a win:win for everyone – our client gets a brand new hairstyle for free and a child gets a little help to lead a normal life.”
Please see guidelines below on what hair is suitable for donation. If your hair fits the bill and you’re keen to change your look AND change a child’s life too, just phone 01908 609898 and mention the Little Princess Trust or email email@example.com
Guidelines for Hair Donation
If you are planning to donate your hair, please see guidelines below and be aware that it is up to the wig manufacturer and not the Trust whether a hair donation is suitable. Please note that adult hair (male and female) is just as suitable for wig making – it doesn’t have to be hair donated from a child.
Please take these points on board too:
- Headonist will only provide a free cut and finish – we are NOT offering a complete head shave service. We’d also like to take some before and after pictures of your new haircut to post on Facebook etc to promote this offer to other potential hair donors. By taking up the offer of a free cut & finish you will be deemed to agree to your photos being used in this way.
- Free haircuts are available Monday – Friday (but not on late nights) with selected stylists. If you wish to donate your hair outside these times, you can have 25% off the cut & finish if you’re a new client and we’ll post the hair to the charity on your behalf.
- Hair donations are never sold under any circumstances.
- Just having your hair cut is fine, you really don’t have to go for the whole shave!
- If you’re under 16, please get the permission of your parents/guardians before you go for the cut!
- The charity cannot provide photographs of a child receiving a wig or pictures of a wig made from your hair.
- Whilst we do accept hair that’s 7”/17cm in length and in good condition, there is more chance of it being used if it measures more than 12”/30cm.
- Clean, dry hair in good condition (no split ends) from any gender, and of any natural colour
- Straight, wavy, curly, permed or chemically straightened
- Containing the occasional grey (less than 10%)
- Dyed, bleached/highlighted (but any dyes must be of a natural colour)
- Plaits/pony-tails, cut a long time ago, preserved in good condition
Unsuitable hair for our wigs:
- Hair that is less than 7”/17cm in length as more than 4” is lost in making a wig
- Dyed an unnatural colour (blue, green, purple etc)
- Largely/mostly grey hair
- Afro (the wig-maker is not a specialist manufacturer of Afro wigs. The Trust buys in these wigs separately)
- Hair extensions
Guidelines for donation:
- Hair should be washed and dried before you come to the salon. Once you’re at Headonist we will cut the length off your hair first for donation, and then wash your remaining hair ready to be cut and styled. It is essential your donated hair is nice and clean ready to be sent off to the charity.
- Do not add conditioner or styling products.
- We will put your clean, dry hair into plaits and secure them at both ends with an elastic band. Your stylist will cut above the band closest to your head
- We will then cut and style the rest of your hair as you wish. You might want to have a longish bob or go for a radical change and have a pixie cut. The choice is yours! But please remember that donated hair must be in excellent condition and no less than 7” long so this will help determine what styles are possible.
- We will put your dry plaits into a clear plastic bag and post them to the Little Princess Trust on your behalf.
- If you’d prefer to post the hair yourself just place the bag in a padded envelope and post using a standard service to the address below. Please have your parcel weighed to make sure you use the right postage
Little Princess Trust
Unit B4, Dolphin Way